Re: Blockbusting news, results are in

From: Thayne Harbaugh
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 11:02:27 EST

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 02:41, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 12:17:16PM +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:
> > What are the common sources of data corruption, is one of them that the
> > drive head starts bumping the media more and more often because a
> > bearing (or something) has started to show signs of wear?
>
> I'm not sure if the manufacturer knows. Datarecovery companies
> know.
>
> Sources of dataloss are:
>
> - Software
> - crooked platters (especially on laptop drives)
> - heads bouncing on platter
> - broken electronics.

I experienced a fun problem where high-CFM fans in a 1u chassis caused
extreme vibration. This vibration caused errors in the drive and
resulted in large numbers of failures using badblocks as a testing
tool. When the vibration was removed the failures disappeared. Another
symptom of the vibration was _very_ low disk performance <10% normal.

I couldn't get a straight answer from the drive manufacturer about how
the reallocation table worked. The short answer was that they were the
only ones that could reset the reallocation table.

--
Thayne Harbaugh
Linux Networx