Re: Unable to handle kernel...

From: Herbert Poetzl
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 06:13:02 EST

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 04:29:28PM +0200, Emmanuel Fleury wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am pretty new in coding for the kernel and I was wandering what is the
> _deep_ meaning of:
>
> "Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address XXXX"

some page was requested, (probably via a pointer
dereference, read or write), which led to a page
fault, which in turn could not be satisfied by
simply isn't there (usually wrong address)

> and
> "Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference".

some pointer (value = NULL) was dereferenced, which
should be considered an error, this caused the oops
which (probably) follows those lines (reg/stackdump)

int *test = NULL;
int v = test[0]; // bad!

> If somebody could explain this to me, I would be very pleased ! :)

probably there are better explanations,

HTH,
Herbert