Re: Blockbusting news, results are in

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 15:03:02 EST

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Chuck Campbell wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:18:33AM +0900, Norman Diamond wrote:
> > It still seems that either Linux must
> > be made to work around known bad blocks or else hard disks and Linux cannot
> > be used together on a computer.
>
> That is a bit of a troll. I suspect that 70 - 90 percent of linux
> installations on a computer are using hard disks. Yet the number of people
> having the same problem as you doesn't appear to be 100% of those.
>
> Making intentionally inflammatory statements to try and win others to your
> point of view tends to do exactly the opposite.
>
> If there are enough people experiencing the problem, it gets fixed, at least
> as far as I can tell. There have been a nunmber of viable ideas proposed
> in this thread to handle the situation you are talking about, and while
> none of them are exactly what you proposed, feel free to write code. Baiting
> comments like the above don't really accomplish anything constructive.
>
> -chuck

I thought both ext2 and ext3 do handle bad-blocks. They just
don't make them owned by a "file" because the Unix file-systems
don't require dummy directory entries.

If the respondent wants them isolated into a "BADBLOCKS" file,
he can make a utility to do that. It's really quite easy because
you can raw-read disks under Linux, plus there is already
the `badblocks` program that will locate them.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).