Re: Software RAID5 with 2.6.0-test

From: jw schultz
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 21:39:54 EST

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 09:51:59PM +0000, bill davidsen wrote:
> In article <20031018115049.GB760@gallifrey>,
> Dr. David Alan Gilbert <gilbertd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> | I'd love to see some real benchmarks to prove me wrong however!
>
> Okay, I'm scheduled to build a system next month, give me the name of a
> good controller which will do four drives and which can be used as a
> dumb controller as well, and I'll grab six drives for the build and run
> a test (baring a change in schedule, obviously).

I'd try the 3ware. AC and others have reported good
throughput and, at least compared to SCSI, they aren't that
expensive and claim to support JBOD. I just checked on
pricewatch and the 7506-4 can be had for about $250US and
the eight port for about $375. Older models can be had for
less. When the economy picks back up enough to improve my
bank ballance i'm planning to buy a few.