Re: [RFC] must fix lists

From: Albert Cahalan
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 22:05:21 EST

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 01:46, Nick Piggin wrote:

> -o (Albert Cahalan) Lots of people (check Google) get this message from the
> - kernel:
> -
> - psmouse.c: Lost synchronization, throwing 2 bytes away.
> -
> - (the number of bytes will be 1, 2, or 3)
> -
> - At work, I get it when there is heavy NFS traffic. The mouse goes crazy,
> - jumping around and doing random cut-and-paste all over everything. This
> - is with a decently fast and modern PC.

I'm pretty sure this problem is NOT fixed and is NOT
related to the problems with support for some oddball
touchpad thing.

The system in question would also lose time when
under heavy load. Note that HZ is now 1000 HZ.
If interrupts are kept off for too long or an
SMI grabs the CPU...

Another infuriating symptom is that, when Linux
detects that the TSC doesn't match jiffies, the
TSC usage is turned off. There goes the only GOOD
time source, tossed aside in favor of a bad one.
Fix for that: if jiffies fall behind the TSC,
trust the TSC -- you've lost some clock ticks.