Re: Patch to add support for SGI's IOC4 chipset

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 13:27:42 EST

On Wednesday 22 of October 2003 06:30, Jeremy Higdon wrote:

> > > The definition in <include/linux/ide.h> is only used if
> > > IDE_ARCH_ACK_INTR is not defined. sgiioc4.c defines IDE_ARCH_ACK_INTR
> > > before including that file, so I believe we get the definition we want
> > > without touching ide.h, don't we?
> >
> > ide_ack_intr() is used by ide-io.c. If IDE_ARCH_ACK_INTR is not defined
> > in ide.h (and it won't be cause you are doing this only in sgiioc4.c
> > /sgiioc4.h in 2.4.x case/ about which ide-io.c has abolutely no idea)
> > ide_ack_intr() will turn into no-op and hwif->ack_intr() won't be called.
>
> I see what you mean. Thanks for spotting and fixing this.

I think there is another bug:

hwif->hw.ack_intr = &sgiioc4_checkirq; /* MultiFunction Chip */

sgiioc4_clearirq() should be used instead of sgiioc4_checkirq() here,
because otherwise IRQ won't be cleared.

In order to do this you must modify sgiioc4_clearirq() slightly,
just change "return intr_reg;" to "return intr_reg & 0x03;".

If you wonder why, please look at ide_ack_intr() use in ide-io.c:ide_intr().

> I've run into a problem in testing. For some reason, I've started to get
> ide timeouts, and the error recovery is not working correctly, due to a
> problem in the driver.
>
> In sgiioc4_ide_dma_stop(), sgiioc4_ide_dma_end(), and sgiioc4_clearirq(),
> there are calls to xide_delay(), which uses schedule_timeout() to sleep.
> Since all of these sgiioc4_ functions can be called from interrupt context,
> that's an obvious problem.
>
> In sgiioc4_clearirq(), the delay function is while we're waiting for the
> interrupt to clear.
>
> In sgiioc4_ide_dma_stop(), we're waiting for the DMA bit to clear.
>
> In sgiioc4_ide_dma_end(), we're waiting for another DMA to finish.
>
> I believe that the right answer is to use udelay() and give up after
> a short period of time. My question is what does the ide layer

Yes, just use udelay().

> expect? That is, if you call the dma_end function and the hardware
> driver can't succeed, what would you like us to do? Is there a way
> to return error, or should we just fail and the ide infrastructure
> will pick it up later and reset things?

The latter, sgiioc4_ide_dma_end() already returns error value to higher layer.
dma_intr() checks it and handle errors (at least in theory).

> I am new to Linux IDE, so forgive these questions if the answers should
> be obvious.

No problem.

thanks,
--bartlomiej