Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Specific Processor Optimizations on x86 Architecture

From: David Zaffiro
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 10:36:41 EST

If you select Pentium III, the -march flag is set to i686.
If you select Pentium 4, the -march flag is set to i686.
If you select Athlon 4, the -march flag is set to i686.
If you select Athlon XP, the -march flag is set to i686.

Depends on the compiler version you use...

For gcc-3.x, I'm sure your settings should be:

If you select Athlon 4, the -march flag is set to athlon
If you select Athlon XP, the -march flag is set to athlon

I don't want to have to hand edit the makefiles just to optimize my kernel.

The kernel itself has evolved to its current state because people hand-edited it. The feature you request may be added in the future, it will only be added faster if you care enough to do it yourself and send a patch to this list to share it with others...