Re: Kernel threads and SMP programming

From: Emmanuel Fleury
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 03:57:57 EST

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 10:48, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:28:21AM +0200, Emmanuel Fleury escreveu:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been googling a bit and looking on kernelnewbies, but I didn't
> > find any documentation on how to code kernel-space programs for SMP...
> >
> > Can somebody give me a hint ?
>
> http://www.linux-mag.com/2000-12/gear_01.html

Thanks.

> Perhaps outdated, haven't checked, but this is an article by Alessandro
> Rubini with the suggestive title "The Design of an In-Kernel Server", so

Hum, I should have guessed ! :)

> what was you using as keywords on google? :-)

I was stupidly using: SMP kernel thread coding

The truth is that I have a piece of code running in the kernel which is
performing OK when running on a mono-processor and which is just a
disaster on SMP... (about 10 time slower).

I'm trying to understand the reason of this, so even out dated
documentation is welcome (the concept can be more important than the
details).

Regards
--
Emmanuel Fleury

Computer Science Department, | Office: B1-201
Aalborg University, | Phone: +45 96 35 72 23
Fredriks Bajersvej 7E, | Fax: +45 98 15 98 89
9220 Aalborg East, Denmark | Email: fleury@xxxxxxxxx