Re: Unbloating the kernel, was: :mem=16MB laptop testing

From: M. Fioretti
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 12:01:00 EST

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 15:59:33 at 03:59:33PM +0000, bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx) wrote:

> | > If we can ensure that Linux keeps working on these machines, it
> | > will be a good thing.
>
> Agreed, until you start to talk cluster. If you pay for electricity,
> newer machines use less per MHz. One of those $200 "Lindows" boxen
> from Wal-Mart starts to look good about the 2nd old Pentium!

May I ask you to elaborate on this? Less per MHz doesn't matter much
if the frequency is much higher, or it does? I mean, if you put, say,
a 133 MHz pentium and a 1 GB pentium to do the same thing with the
same SW (mail server, for example), the 1GB system may use less per
MHz (newer silicon, lower voltage, etc...) and its flip-flops toggle
for a smaller percentage of time, but its electricity bill will still
be the higher one, or not?

In general: has anybody ever done *this* kind of benchmarks? Comparing
electricity consumption among different systems doing just the same
task?

TIA,
Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it
Red Hat for low memory http://www.rule-project.org/en/

A good man is intelligent, and a bad man is also an idiot. Moral and
intellectual characteristics go together - Jorge Luis Borges