2.6.0-test6 + fb patch = dead PowerBook

From: David Eger
Date: Fri Oct 24 2003 - 12:36:41 EST

I decided a week ago to work on bringing the Radeon driver up-to-date for Linux
2.6 -- essentially a forward port of BenH's 2.4 driver + some acceleration code
from xfree86.

My PowerBook is now toast. I'm hoping someone might give me some hints on
resurrecting it. Here's the story:

1. Dowloaded linux-2.6.0-test8. Compiled. Rebooted. My lcd didn't show
anything once tux was supposed to appear.

2. Decided "must be a bad radeon driver". Forward ported BenH's driver,
ifdef'ing out all of the Power Management code and console ugliness.

3. Compiled this patched kernel. Rebooted. Hung, I believe, detecting a
mouse. strange.

4. Checked my .config from linux-2.4.22-ben2. Oh. I'll try enabling VGA
console in addition to FB console, and those other "Apple" framebuffers just
for kicks in my 2.6.0-test8+ kernel.

5. Compile. Reboot. tux! login prompt! Rock! login. just for kicks, startx.
X starts! Rock! Okay, reboot to linux-2.4 so I can clean up the new driver. X
gets killed and video goes weird during shut down. That's expected, though, as
I disabled some of the Power Management codes.

My machine never reboots properly.

It will get to the end of openpic() right before tux is supposed to appear and
dies. Linux-2.4.22-ben2, MacOSX, Linux-2.6.0-test8+, Gentoo Install CD, MacOSX
install CD, they all die somewhere during kernel initialization. The only
thing I can get to boot is the Hardware Test CD.

I figure, "okay, I must have screwed with some registers improperly. I'll just
unplug it, take the battery out, let all of the registers settle down to zero
and reboot it later. I'll even hit that reset switch on the PMU just in case."

None of this helps.

Any ideas?

-Eger David, in Budapest