Re: Blockbusting news, results end

From: Norman Diamond
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 06:27:00 EST

Pavel Machek replied to me:

> > The drive finally reallocated the block and there are no longer any
> > visible bad blocks.
>
> And what was the operation that made it realocate?

At first I wasn't sure. I noticed that the drive was behaving differently
when I told dd to use bs=4096 instead of 512. Until seeing Oleg Drokin's
message about ReiserFS, I thought that the drive itself was doing something
differently. That didn't make much sense to me because the physical sectors
are much longer than 4096 and the pseudo-sectors are the conventional 512,
so why did 4096 cause different behaviour? From Oleg Drokin's message, I
guess that the use of 4096 might make a difference in the sequence of
read-modify-write cycles involved in the logical write operation.

This doesn't seem like a complete answer, but I don't think I'll ever know a
complete answer.