Re: 2.6.0-test9: selinux compile error with "make O=..."

From: Stephen Smalley
Date: Mon Oct 27 2003 - 08:45:15 EST

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 04:49, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> Hi Adrian.
> Known problem that has been reported back to the maintainers about
> one month ago. But they do not seem to care enough to fix it.

I have no prior email regarding the issue. Who reported it, and to whom?
Was it cc'd to any mailing list (e.g. lkml, lsm, or selinux)?

> The use of "-include" is a bad way to include files. The reader will
> not see that global.h is included at all and will wonder how that
> information get pulled in.

True, and the original reason for it is no longer valid, so we can
change this.

> Furhtermore the location of the header files under security/include
> is considered bad practice. All headerfiles used from more than one
> directory belongs to include/xxx, in this case include/security.
> Then they can be included using
> #include <security/secuity.h>

This was discussed when SELinux was originally submitted for merging,
but these header files are private to the SELinux kernel module are
never included into out-of-tree code, so it seemed unjustified to move
them. Now, if this breaks the build process, we can move them, but I
would appreciate clarification as to whether this is truly a limitation
of the build process for make O=.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
National Security Agency