Re: [pm] fix time after suspend-to-*

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 10:25:10 EST

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:32:33 +0100, Pavel Machek said:

> Not sure... We do not want applications to know. Certainly we can't
> send a signal; SIGPWR already has some meaning and it would be bad to
> override it.

You are correct that SIGPWR already has an assigned semantic.

However, I'm not convinced that we don't want applications to know.
Others have mentioned timeouts of network connections, and there's other
issues as well - for instance, on my laptop, it is almost guaranteed (due to my
work habits) that if I were to suspend it, when it wakes up the network
configuration would be *wrong*. It's possible to intuit what the right
config is by looking at the number of ethernets and their link state, but
that requires a wakeup of *something* in userspace - blindly going on
as if nothing happened simply won't work.

Would having a pair of 'sleep/wakeup' calls in /etc/inittab (similar to the
powerfail/powerok pair) be a solution here?