Re: ANNOUNCE: User-space System Device Enumeration (uSDE)

From: Mark Bellon
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 13:15:46 EST

Patrick Mochel wrote:

The uSDE was built in response to a set of telco and embedded community
requirements. We found it difficult to express our ideas. Everyone
wanted to see code and documentation. Here is the code and the initial
documentation. This is a starting point...

I find it difficult to see your justification for designing a project from
scratch instead of contributing your time, effort, and ideas to a pair of
already existing, albeit immature, projects that do exactly the same
thing.

Please note that I'm not trying to incite yet another device naming flame
war, but you have to understand how frustrating it is to see you guys make
the same mistakes over and over, ad inifitum.

Let's review. SDET was posted several months ago by the Montavista telco
group as a 2.4 solution that was driven by customer requirements. So be
it.

In the last year, you (and/or your group) has posted several proposed
device naming solutions; each of which were shot down because of
over-design, misdirection, or simply tastelessness. Each time we
encouraged you to align yourselves with the overall design goals or simply
contribute to existing projects.

Personal contact in Ottawa resulted the same message. IIRC, many if not
all, of the atttending MV telco engineers even saw Greg's talk on udev.

In the time since, you've designed and written a solution from scratch,
without even trying to contribute to the udev effort. (And while, I might
add, another MV engineer contributed several patches to in his free time
to help package and productize it.)

I fail to see your point in this project. AFAIC, you've wasted your time.
It surely can't be customer requirements, as I highly doubt any customer
solutions are based on a 2.6 kernel yet. You've completely duplicated the
efforts of a project destined to become the de facto standard for the
requirement you're trying to fulfill, for what gain?

Pat

I can't respond to the emotion and ad hominum references in this message. The uSDE announcement is my first posting. I can't address any past dealings with MontaVista.

The uSDE ideas and implementation was started with the OSDL requirements in August of 2002.
This is the first time any form of it has been posted. From time-to-time, since the project started, ideas related to it have been floated with the community. The feedback was carefully listened to and utitized in the implementation that was just posted.

mark