Re: [pm] fix time after suspend-to-*

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 15:17:15 EST

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 18:28, Pavel Machek wrote:

> You are not asking userspace whether to reboot or not, and you should
> not ask them about suspend, either.

OK, so how should the system behave when a real-time-like process is
running? I talked about the CD burning example. Should the kernel simply
ignore the process and suspend?

> > 1. Network connections must be reestablished. A userspace program can't
> > try to automatically reestablish a broken TCP connection for no apparent
> > reason. A broken TCP connection could be the cause of an overloaded or
> > broken server/service. If we do not inform userspace processes that the
> > system is going to sleep (or that the system has been brought up from
> > standby), they will blindly try to restore TCP connections back, even
> > when the remote server is broken, generating a lot of unnecesary
> > traffic.
>
> gettimeofday(), if I slept for too long, oops, something strange
> happened (maybe there was heavy io load and I was swapped out? or
> suspend? Did machine sleep for 20 minutes in cli?) try to reconnect.

Does "gettimeofday()" have into account the effect of adjusting the time
twice a year, once to make time roll forward one hour and another one to
roll it back?