Re: [long] linux-2.6.0-test9, XFree86 4.2.1.1, ATI ATI Radeon VEQY, screen hangs on 3d apps

From: Jeffrey E. Hundstad
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 19:47:33 EST

Thanks a ton. Moving from XFree86 Version 4.2.1.1 to Version 4.3.99.12 as you suggested seems to have solved my problem. Everything including 3d applications works fine now. I'm wondering if there is any value in figuring out why the older version fails... or just be happy that that the new one works. Suggestions?

Thanks again,

Jeffrey Hundstad

Helge Hafting wrote:

Jeffrey E. Hundstad wrote:

Hello,

I'm using Debian unstable. It comes with XFree86 Vesrion 4.2.1.1. This works fine with linux-2.4.22. I've been using this configuration with accelerated 3d apps. With linux-2.6.0-test9 X works fine until a 3d application such as glxgears starts. The screen no longer updates except that you can move the cursor. The logs do not indicate failure. I can't get the screen back without a reboot. I can connect via. the network to do analysis if someone wants to give me a clue what to look for.

Check all log files and dmesg, see if some driver (probably 3d drivers)
complaining about anything. If so, tell the relevant developers.

You may also want to run "ps aux" and see if any apps (particulary
glxgears) is stuck in D state.

Finally, you may try to see if you can get the screen back without
a reboot using the network connection.
Try killing glxgears, or kill -9 if that doesn't help.
Try restarting X - use "kill" or "kill -9" if
it won't quit nicely.
Killing X and xdm (or gdm/kdm/whatever) may
force you to restart it manually.

So once again:

XFree86 Vesrion 4.2.1.1
linux-2.6.0-test9
ATI Radeon VE QY rev 0

Oh, a radeon. I have one too, using 3D kills my machine.
Developers thought I might have a "broken agp device"
or something like that. You should definitely report
it to DRI developers, more independent reports on radeon failures with 2.6
might make things happen rather than this "maybe the hw is broken" theory.

Note that the debian 3d software is quite old.
consider adding this to tour /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid/ ./

You may then apt-get install xlibmesa-gl1-dri-trunk xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk That will get you X 4.3 with the latest DRI software. It may
work better, or it may not. You can trivially go back
to your old setup by removing those two packages.
Note that xdm might fail with the experimental packages,
if so, start X using startx.

Helge Hafting