Re: Post-halloween doc updates.

From: Dave Jones
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 10:20:02 EST

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:05:40AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> > (usually notable by a NIC not getting a DHCP lease for eg, despite being
> > sent one by the server). Booting with "noapic" "acpi=off" or a
> > combination
> > of both fixes this for most people. Additional breakage reports should go
> > to Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
> As this is a symptom of irq routing failure, I dunno if bug reports
> should necessarily go to me :)

Sorry, you just looked guilty 8-)
Removed that last bit.

> >Stuff needing forward porting from 2.4.
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >- HFSPlus
> I think Roman Zippel updated this recently?

> >- Direct booting from floppy is no longer supported.
> > You should now use a boot loader program instead.
> hmmm, what does this mean?

it means you now need syslinux.

> "make bzdisk" continues to work... it requires syslinux, however, so
> that the makefile may install the syslinux bootloader on the floppy.

Added a note mentioning that.

> >- For Red Hat users, there's another pitfall in "/etc/rc.sysinit".
> > .... deletia
> Is this all still true?

Possibly not, I'll look into this.

> > o Most PCMCIA devices have unload races and may oops on eject
> > o Modular IDE does not yet work, modular IDE PCI modules sometimes
> > oops on loading
> > o ide_scsi is completely broken in 2.6 currently. Known problem.
> > If you need it either use 2.4 or fix it 8)
> also perhaps add a mention of new and spiffy Serial ATA drivers :)

See the very last line of of the doc 8-)

> >- Jens Axboe added the ability to use DMA for writing CDs on
> > ATAPI devices. Writing CDs should be much faster than it
> > was in 2.4, and also less prone to buffer underruns and the like.
> >- With a recent cdrecord, you also no longer need ide-scsi in order to use
> > an IDE CD writer.
> Maybe add a pointer in the IDE section, pointing to this section? Since
> they both mention ide-scsi...

Done.

> >devfs.
> >~~~~~~
> >- devfs got somewhat stripped down and a lot of duplicate functionality
> > got removed. You now need to enable CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y and mount
> > the devpts filesystem in the same manner you would if you were not
> > using devfs.
> Wasn't this mentioned elsewhere in the document?

briefly in the 'obsolete' section. the filesystem changes section
typically has more info.

> >Improved BIOS table support.
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >- Linux now supports various new BIOS extensions.
>
> This is a bit vague. Even I have no idea what this refers to :)

Then read on...
SBF, EDD & IPMI

> I dunno how much there is to add, but I just have a general feeling that
> software suspend and ACPI sleep state support has progressed since this
> was written.

last I tried both were quite dismal, that was a few months back though.

> >Compiler issues.
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >- The recommended compiler (for x86) is still 2.95.3.
>
> I'm not sure this is still the case, in practice. Recent times have
> seen people breaking 2.95.x, which did not support the C99/C++ style of
> mixing variable declarations and code. People would forget this, and we
> only find out a few days later that the 2.95.x build was broken.

*nod*, more and more distros are now shipping gcc3 as their stock compiler,
so it's likely at some point things are going to change.

> > 'process xxx using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT' .
> > - Bind 9.2.2 checks for #ifdef SO_BSDCOMPAT in <asm/socket.h> correctly,
> > so a recompile is all that is needed.
> > - bind9-host from debian testing triggers, though the 'host' package
> > doesn't.
> > - process `snmpd' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT
> > - process `snmptrapd' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT
> > - ntop uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
>
> Wasn't there a recent lkml thread relating to this?

not that I recall.

Thanks for the comments.

Dave