Re: ANNOUNCE: User-space System Device Enumation (uSDE)

From: David Dodge
Date: Thu Oct 30 2003 - 19:49:15 EST

Greg KH writes:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 01:12:26PM +0800, Guo, Min wrote:
> > 2.For non-hotplug device
[...]
> > uDEV:
> > not deal with it
>
> See Robert Love's very simple script to populate stuff from sysfs. It
> can run from initscript just like SDE. But in the end, udev will end up
> in initramfs and we will not need to do this.

So the intent is to have compiled-in drivers for already-attached
devices (framebuffer, system disks, loop, whatever) generate calls to
/sbin/hotplug within initramfs?

Mainly I'm asking because I did try putting a hotplug script into an
initramfs a few weeks ago (using -test7), and it didn't appear to be
invoked for e.g. the VESA framebuffer. So I want to make sure this is a
"future" capability and not something that should have worked :-)