Re: initrd help -- umounts root after pivot_root

From: Bob Chiodini
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 07:46:47 EST

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 19:18, John R Moser wrote:
> Been trying with 2.4.20, 2.4.22, 2.6.0-test9, how the heck do I get this
> to work?
>
> I set everthing up on /dev/shm type tmpfs, then
> cd /dev/shm
> mkdir initrd
> pivot_root . initrd
John,

It does not appear that the kernel(s) will support the root fs on
tmpfs. Looking through the init kernel code: It boils down to a block
device with real major and minor number or NFS.

Could you set up a ramdisk to do the same thing as /dev/shm? Also,
you'll have to tell the kernel where root is, either a boot parameter
(root=xxx) or with the rdev command.

Bob...