Re: kernel: i8253 counting too high! resetting..

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 08:02:06 EST

On Friday 31 October 2003 01:36, Dan Bernard wrote:
>On 20031031 0040, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >ALi
>> >M1542 A1
>> >100MHz
>> >Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
>> >ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
>> >idebus=xx
>>
>> This is correct, and for 2.4.20, I don't think the override works.

>> And again, while slower, this is the default bus speed FOR PIO,
>> Programmed I/O, not DMA. Another animal entirely. Running at
>> this 33MHZ speed, but without any handshaking, it can move 132Mb a
>> second because each access is 32 bits, or 4 bytes, wide. Which is
>> still far faster than your drives can bring data past the heads.
>> You are confusing the UDMA66 mode which exists on the drive cable,
>> with the bus speed the IDE card is plugged into, 2 entirely
>> different animals.

>> You'll need good cables, and a lengthy read of the hdparm manpage.
>> Then you can put the correct hdparm command to enable the UDMA66
>> mode right into your /etc/rc.d/rc.local script.
>
>ALi M1542 chipset is probably not too different from mine. That's
> good, because if it were not ALi, then this would be much more
> complicated.
>
>The main problem here is not any kind of malfunction, but simply a
>component or group of components performing slightly below what is
>expected, and the software therefore generates unnecessary noise.
>
>I do not try to tweak any settings with hdparm unless something is
> broken. However, it looks like that may be your best bet in this
> particular case. I shall just continue putting up with the warnings
> for now.
>
>Still, if anyone gets these warnings without ALi chipsets, please do
> tell.
>
>Regards,
>Dan Bernard

Unforch, for this scene, both of my boards have VIA chipsets, so its
not from personal experience, I'm just a CET with 55 years of chasing
electrons for a living. I've looked at the top of a lot of chips
since IC's were invented. If the boards are really fresh, maybe you
could warranty the noisy one as being defective?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M