Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: serious 2.6 bug in USB subsystem?

From: David Brownell
Date: Fri Oct 31 2003 - 14:37:56 EST

David Mosberger wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:23:54 -0800, David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

David.B> David Mosberger wrote:
>> After spending a bit more time on this, it looks to me like the
>> keyboard is crashing the system very early on.

David.B> I think there are some devices that choke the HID
David.B> code;

And nobody is alarmed by this? Surely crashing the kernel by plugging
in a USB device must be considered a MUST-FIX item. Perhaps I missed
something, but I never saw this mentioned before.

You sound alarmed! If that's alarmed enough to find out what
the real problem is, maybe you'll end up fixing it ... :)

I could be wrong about the problem being in the HID code, but
that does look like a likely home for the bug. We know there
are other issues with HID/input/hiddev/... that need attention.

Having said that, out of
that 6 or so devices, that particular keyboard is the only one causing
crashes. However, note that it works (mostly) fine under 2.4 and even
if they keyboard were total crap, it certainly shouldn't crash the
kernel.

Agreed, oopsing == bad. HID needs more attention. I suspect whoever
dives into that will want to know what you mean by "(mostly) fine";
that might give a clue about what 2.6 changes worsened the failures.

- Dave