Re: Things that Longhorn seems to be doing right

From: Brian Beattie
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 08:13:15 EST

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 08:59, Herman wrote:

> BTW, to my mind, the killer app in a business environment is the automatic
> file versioning feature in longhorn. This protects people against fat finger
> mistakes, and geez, any business has its fair share of fat head, fat finger
> and dumb blond types. This is the only feature from VMS that I am longing
> for...

I have had this idea, for a while, that with the continued fall in price
per bit of storage, and the fact, that back-up strategies are not
catching up and are perhaps falling behind, that maybe a new paradyne
for storage might be feasible soon. The idea is that you have a
permanent store, using raid or raid-like redundancy and file versioning
so that nothing is ever deleted, you just keep adding drives and
replacing those that fail. Of course you'd need some geographic
diversity and a way for storage to migrate to newer "file stores" to
really work, but just think, no more backups to fail...ever!

--
Brian Beattie | Experienced kernel hacker/embedded systems
beattie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | programmer, direct or contract, short or

"Honor isn't about making the right choices.
It's about dealing with the consequences." -- Midori Koto