ALSA (snd-via82xx) + 2.4 kernel + VAIO laptops w/VIA VT82C686

From: Lars Peterson
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 18:56:59 EST

Hello,

I struggled with getting ALSA sound to work on my Sony VAIO PCG-FXA49
until I googled this workaround:
http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/rpm-list/2002-November/002250.html

My laptop hard locks upon trying to load the snd-via82xx module UNLESS
the OSS via82cxx_audio module has already been loaded & unloaded.

Warren suggested that I report this to those responsible for maintaining
the 2.4 and ALSA, since he claims the problem appears to have gone away
in post 2.5.47-ac4 kernels.

Environment:
Gentoo Linux 1.4
Kernel 2.4.22-ck2
Alsa-{drivers,utils,lib,tools}-0.9.8

Hardware:
1.2 GHz AMD Athlon 4
512MB SDRAM
VIA KT133/KM133 Chipset

Please cc responses to me as I'm not subscribed to either list.

Lars Peterson