IA64/x86-64 and execution protection support?

From: Joseph Pingenot
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 09:50:31 EST

Hello.

I was reading El Reg this morning when they discussed "execution protection"
on the new Intel (IA64) and AMD (K8 and above) chips.
Does the Linux kernel have support for preventing execution of certain
memory regions on those architectures?
Also, I know that some implementations of x86 stack protection are out there;
I've not seen them in the vanilla kernels; is there any plan to implement
them?

Thank you!
-Joseph
--
Joseph===============================================trelane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Asked by CollabNet CTO Brian Behlendorf whether Microsoft will enforce its