Re: allocating netlink families?

From: Dan Kegel
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 19:38:14 EST

David S. Miller wrote:
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 16:43:20 -0800
Dan Kegel <dkegel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Has there been any discussion of how one should pick
netlink family numbers for new stuff like netkeeper?
Sure, everyone could use NETLINK_USERSOCK, but
that means only one new netlink module could be resident at a time...

When it's determined to be useful and to be added to
the main kernel sources, we'll allocate a number.
Before that time, there is no need to allocate. We'd
run out quickly if everyone with a funny netlink thing they
wanted to do asked for a number.

I guess I was really wondering what somebody who wants to
use two netlink things in the same system should do. Steal
family 31, I suppose. Ah, well.
I'll just happily use NETLINK_USERSOCK, and won't ask about
clashes until I really run into one.

- Dan