Re: virt_to_page/pci_map_page vs. pci_map_single

From: Jes Sorensen
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 04:51:44 EST

Jes> Hmmm, my brain has gotten ia64ified ;-) It's basically the normal
Jes> mappings of the kernel, ie. the kernel text/data/bss segments as
Jes> well as anything you do not get back as a dynamic mapping such as
Jes> ioremap/vmalloc/kmap.

David> I don't think it's safe to use virt_to_page() on static kernel
David> addresses (text, data, and bss). For example, ia64 linux
David> nowadays uses a virtual mapping for the static kernel memory,
David> so it's not part of the identity-mapped segment.

Mmmm good point, I stand corrected. It doesn't really make sense to do
it anyway, but maybe it's worth underlining in the doc if it hasn't
been done so already.

Cheers,
Jes