Re: Some issues with Acer TravelMate 242

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 14:48:50 EST

Michal Semler (volny.cz) writes:
> Hi,
>
> I have Acer TravelMate 242 serie and I have these problems with 2.4 kernel:
>
> 1) Compiling into kernel Local APIC causes kernel not booting after reboot -
> Kernel writes Loading kernel and when finished PC freezes. Removing Local
> Apic causes working kernel

Please clarify: does the kernel with local APIC support enabled always
fail to boot, or does it only fail at warm (re)boots?

What exact kernel version are you using? A bug which had the effect
of breaking warm (re)boots on some system was fixed semi-recently.

(Power-management related config options are also significant.
Certain APM options are known to cause problems, for instance.)

Note that many many laptops have buggy BIOSen, making local APIC
usage on those laptops impossible. Pass "nolapic" to the kernel if
you have a buggy machine.

/Mikael