Re: get_cycles() on i386

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 22:04:55 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On 4 Nov 2003, john stultz wrote:

CONFIG_X86_TSC be the devil. Personally, I'd much prefer dropping the
compile time option and using dynamic detection. Something like (not
recently tested and i believe against 2.5.something, but you get the
idea):

Some of the users are really timing-critical (eg scheduler).

The scheduler uses its own sched_clock which only gives jiffies
resolution if CONFIG_NUMA is defined. Unfortunate because I think
its interactive behaviour isn't so good with ms resolution.

The scheduler does not need to have synchronised TSCs though, I think.
It just means 2 more calls to sched_clock in a slow path (smp migration).

Well no, its much trickier than that I think :(