Re: [ANNOUNCE] QLogic qla2xxx driver update available (v8.00.00b6).

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 04:38:53 EST

> o Slab cache allocations for driver SRBs.

this one is broken. You kall kmem_cache_alloc and kmem_cache_free
under a spinlock which is not wrong (at least with GFP_ATOMIC) but useless.
You don't have a mempool so you will deadlock under load.
You have a kmem_cache_t per host which is unessecary, one in the driver is
enough.

> the source-type tarball format. It's not worth the extra effort of
> building a separate drop-in kernel tarball, given the varying release
> periods of the driver. Similar drop-in-kernel-tarball results can be
> had by:

Would be nice to unpack into a directory instead of CWD, like almost any
tarball does..

> Failover functionality is present in this distribution, at this time I
> do not foresee a policy change regarding its presence in the 8.x
> series driver. The next beta release of 8.x will be failover-feature
> resync'd with our latest 6.x beta (6.07.xx).

So it won't get merged into 2.6.x. Not that it would be likely given your
complete ignorance of the other TODO items. Sometimes I really wish to
get some funding to work on a mergeable qla2xxx driver as it seems impossible
to get one from qlogic..

--
Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> - Freelance Hacker
Contact me for driver hacking and kernel development consulting