Re: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt

From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 08:31:08 EST

Jens Axboe wrote:
On Fri, Nov 07 2003, Nick Piggin wrote:

Jens Axboe wrote:

On Fri, Nov 07 2003, Nick Piggin wrote:

Jens Axboe wrote:

sys time is usually pretty high if that is the case, and it's hovering
around 5% here... Prakash, are you sure that dma is enabled on the
drive? When you see the problem, do a vmstat 1 for 10 seconds so you are
absolutely sure you are sending the info from when the problem occurs.

Although have a look at the interrupts field in vmstat 1255, 725, 736 ...

Yeah that is pretty high for just doing a burn, maybe something else is

;) you are forgetting 2.6 should give 1000 timer interrupts per second!

Heh indeed, maybe because the archs I use are still at 100. Looks
suspiciously like it's loosing timer interrupts, which would indeed
point to PIO.

bash-2.05b# hdparm -I /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

ATAPI CD-ROM, with removable media
Model Number: LITE-ON LTR-16102B
Serial Number:
Firmware Revision: OS0K
Standards:
Used: ATAPI for CD-ROMs, SFF-8020i, r2.5
Supported: CD-ROM ATAPI-2
Configuration:
DRQ response: 50us.
Packet size: 12 bytes
Capabilities:
LBA, IORDY(cannot be disabled)
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2
Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
Cycle time: no flow control=227ns IORDY flow control=120ns

For me it looks as though multiword dma 2 is being used, isnt it?

Another question: When doing dmesg, I see this:

ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APCK] (IRQs 20 21 22)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APCS] (IRQs *23)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APCL] (IRQs 20 21 22)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APCM] (IRQs 20 21 22)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [AP3C] (IRQs 20 21 22)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [APCZ] (IRQs 20 21 22)
Linux Plug and Play Support v0.97 (c) Adam Belay
SCSI subsystem initialized
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usbfs
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver hub
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LSMB] enabled at IRQ 10
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LUBA] enabled at IRQ 11
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LUBB] enabled at IRQ 5
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LUB2] enabled at IRQ 10
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LMAC] enabled at IRQ 10
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LAPU] enabled at IRQ 10

Is it normal that SCSI subsystem gets init'ed, even though nothing of it is activated in the kernel?

Prakash