RE: [ANNOUNCE] QLogic qla2xxx driver update available (v8.00.00b6).

From: Andrew Vasquez
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 14:35:34 EST

Arjan,

> > No. We've had this IOWR problem since the inception of 5.x series
> > driver. Software (SMS 3.0) has been built on top of the this
> > IOCTL
>
> how about removing most if not all of these ioctls ? The scsi layer
> has a *generic* "send passthrough" mechanism already for example.

I'm not entirely clear on what you are alluding to here, are you
referring to SCSI_IOCTL_SEND_COMMAND? There's significantly more
functionality embedded within the IOCTLs than simply sending passthrus
to devices. Also, all of QLogic's drivers (linux, solaris, windows)
implement to this 'external ioctl' spec, making changes to Linux alone
would difficult.

Regards,
Andrew Vasquez