Re: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 21:40:47 EST

Rob Landley wrote:

On Thursday 06 November 2003 13:45, Linus Torvalds wrote:

On 6 Nov 2003, bill davidsen wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by faster, burning runs at device limited
speed in CPU time in the less than 1% range if you remember to enable
DMA. The last time I looked DMA didn't work in either kernel if write
size was not a multiple of 1k, (or 2k?) has that changed?

DMA works fine

IF YOU DON'T USE IDE-SCSI

Don't use it. Please. There's no point.

It's much more readable to do

cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc

than it is to do some stupid "scan SCSI devices" + "dev=0,1,0" or similar
totally incomprehensible crap that doesn't even work right.

I'm not sure what you meant by faster, so don't think I'm disagreeing
with you.

Faster as in "it uses DMA for everything, so you can actually burn at full
speed without having to worry about it or sucking up CPU".

Linus

Note this still doesn't mean you can scroll large X windows for two or three seconds at a time without burning a coaster.

I had high hopes with the new scheduler, but no. (Maybe if I niced the heck out of cdrecord...)

RT processes should work well with the scheduler. renicing if it is not
RT will help a little bit, but it doesn't do much to help maximum latency.