Re: CPU-Test similar to Memtest?

From: Samuel Flory
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 21:56:23 EST

bill davidsen wrote:
In article <1067379433.6281.575.camel@tubarao>,
Thayne Harbaugh <tharbaugh@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

| On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 09:05, Robert L. Harris wrote:
| > I'm going to run MEMTEST today when I get home and get a chance to make
| > a bootable CD
| | Memtest86 is good, but it isn't as good as it could be. Many times I
| have seen it run 24 hours without error even though the the system has
| bad memory.
| | > but I'm wondering if there might be a "CPUTEST" or such
| > utility anyone knows of that'll poke and prod a dual athalon real well
| > and make sure I don't have a flaky cpu.
| | Run Linpack (or other computationally intensive program) while
| monitoring ECC errors with either
| http://www.anime.net/~goemon/linux-ecc/files/
| or
| ftp://ftp.lnxi.com/pub/bluesmoke

I agree with almost everything you said, but I have seen cases in which
no CPU use would generate an error, but using heavy DMA io in addition
triggered the problem. If all else fails add your favorite disk test.

Cpuburn is a good test to run on x86's. That said I've only seen it fail in 2 systems out of ~20,000. Generally cpu erros will crash your system before the error is printed to the screen.

Also compiling your kernel in a loop is a good way to shake loose cpu, and memory issue. I've often found this finds errors much quicker many memory tests.

You might want to try ctcs. "Make ; "./new-burn -t"
http://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs/
--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)