Re: slab corruption in test9 (NFS related?)

From: Joshua Kwan
Date: Sun Nov 09 2003 - 23:26:01 EST

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 08:09:40PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> In other words, your patch certainly looks obviously correct, but it also
> looks _so_ obviously correct that my alarm bells are going off. If the
> code was quite that broken at counting dentries, how the hell did it ever
> work AT ALL?

From Jargon File (4.3.0, 30 APR 2001) [jargon]:

schroedinbug /shroh'din-buhg/ n. [MIT: from the Schroedinger's Cat
thought-experiment in quantum physics] A design or implementation bug in
a program that doesn't manifest until someone reading source or using
the program in an unusual way notices that it never should have worked,
at which point the program promptly stops working for everybody until
fixed. Though (like {bit rot}) this sounds impossible, it happens; some
programs have harbored latent schroedinbugs for years. Compare
{heisenbug}, {Bohr bug}, {mandelbug}.

Hold on to your horses everyone? :)

--
Joshua Kwan