Re: 2.9test9-mm1 and DAO ATAPI cd-burning corrupt

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 14:39:13 EST

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Quite frankly, if it's literally been broken since 2.3.x, I think the best
> thing to do would be to remove the driver entirely.

For no-longer-current hardware that would probably not be such a bad
thing.

> Yeah, there's probably a fair number of those old CD-ROM drivers that
> nobody uses with modern kernels (ie they might be used on some router that
> hasn't been touched in forever, still running 2.2.x on a 8MB 386SX-16).

Well, I ran DNS on such a beast with 1.2.13 (from memory) until Y2k scared
me into updating the whole setup. But iptables is so much better than
ipchains that I hope there are fewer people using 2.2 for routers!

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc