percpu_counter_mod not getting into SMP kernel image when ext2/3compiled as modules

From: Jeff Bowden
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 18:31:43 EST

In 2.6.9-test9 (also tried with bk15) I have ext2 and ext3 both configured as modules. When I do "modprobe ext3" it says:

FATAL: Error inserting ext3 (/lib/modules/2.6.0-test9-bug-t1/kernel/fs/ext3/ext3.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

and dmesg says:

ext3: Unknown symbol percpu_counter_mod

I found one message in the archive (http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0310.2/0311.html) which mentions this problem and includes a proposed fix. The lines from the this proposal made it into lib/percpu_counter.c but somehow it seems that they are not causing the symbol to end up in the main kernel image. In fact the string "percpu_counter_mod" does not occur in vmlinux or in any of the modules other than ext2.ko and ext3.ko.

The kernel in question was compiled with gcc 3.3.1 on an up-to-date debian/unstable. A copy of the exact .config I used can be had from http://jlb.changelog.com/config-2.6.0-test9-bug-t1

I am not subscribed to this mailing list.