Re: 2 TB partition support

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 22:45:02 EST

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 06:12:06PM -0800, Joseph Shamash wrote:
>>
>> What is the maximum partition size for a patched 2.4.x kernel, and
>> where are those patches?

Mike> I believe it is now 16TB per block device in 2.6, and patched
Mike> 2.4.

That's right for 32-bit systems with 4k pages. For 64 bit systems the
limit is over 8 Exabytes.

You should note that software raid has smaller limits, as does the
LVM. Also the 2.4 patches have seen *much* less testing than the 2.6
mainline (except possibly on the SGI Altix).

What exactly are you trying to do?

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*