Re: OT: why no file copy() libc/syscall ??

From: Ihar 'Philips' Filipau
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 04:52:01 EST

Florian Weimer wrote:
Andreas Dilger wrote:

This is fast turning into a creeping horror of aggregation. I defy anybody
to create an API to cover all the options mentioned so far and *not* have it
look like the process_clone horror we so roundly derided a few weeks ago.

int sys_copy(int fd_src, int fd_dst)

Doesn't work. You have to set the security attributes while you open
fd_dst.

int new_fd = sys_copy( int src_fd ); /* cloned copy, out of any fs */
fchmod( new_fd, XXX_WHAT_EVER ); /* do the job. */
flink(new_fd, "/some/path/some/file/name"); /* commit to fs */
close(new_fd); /* bye-bye */

I beleive this can be more useful. Not only in naive tries to replace cp(1) with kernel ;-)

--
Ihar 'Philips' Filipau / with best regards from Saarbruecken.
-- _ _ _