Re: 2.6.0-test9-bk16 ALi M5229 kernel boot error

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Nov 12 2003 - 00:30:48 EST

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> For a little bit of history, this 'if' test succeeds on Alpha. We
> return here on Alpha to avoid x86-specific stuff.

It's not x86-specific stuff, it's literally specific to the ISA bridge.

And I'm pretty sure this horrid test was there at least partly for a
Transmeta setup that had a non-ALI northbridge together with an ALI
southbridge. The fact that it _also_ triggers on other machines may well
be true, though.

Linus