Re: kernel.bkbits.net off the air

From: Jan Harkes
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 09:45:57 EST

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 03:59:42PM +0300, Samium Gromoff wrote:
> Okay, folks. Now i propose to go further than that.
>
> I hope that Larry recognises that at some point the linux kernel community
> _will_ switch to a free software alternative.
>
> I think we should have a better choice than the lossy bk->cvs.
>
> I propose we as a whole ask Larry to create a bk->arch gateway _not_ via cvs
> but directly, and therefore using all the extended metadata possible.

I appreciate Arch and am actually using it for some things, and can't
give an educated opinion on BK as I have never used it.

But this is just ridiculous.

First of all, there always serious pain in switching. Whatever free
alternative is provided better be _a lot_ better compared to what is
currently used. And although Arch might be more in-line with the
political goals of many developers, frankly I don't believe Arch is
technologically there yet.

But then asking Larry to implement a gateway seems to be the plan of the
century. Hey why doesn't Larry help out with the Arch or SVN effort
while he's at it? How would you react if ClearCase started demanding
that Arch/SVN/CVS developers should implement a one-directional
gateway to their software to make it easier for people to migrate.

Jan