Re: Nick's scheduler v18

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 00:47:08 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Mary Edie Meredith <maryedie@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nick,

We ran your patch on STP against one of our database workloads (DBT3 on
postgreSQL which uses file system rather than raw).

The test was able to compile, successfully start up the database,
successfully load the database from source file, successfully run the
power test (single stream update/query/delete).

It failed, however at the next stage, where it starts 8 streams of query
and one stream of updates/deletes where it ran for approximately 40
minutes (usually takes over an hour to complete). The updates appear to
have completed and only queries were active at the time of failure. See
the error message below from the database log.

PANIC: fdatasync of log file 1, segment 81 failed: Input/output error

It's hard to see how a CPU scheduler change could cause fdatasync() to
return EIO.

What filesystem was being used?

If it was ext2 then perhaps you hit the recently-fixed block allocator
race. That fix was merged after test9. Please check the kernel logs for
any filesystem error messages.

The kernel tested was test9-bk14 + my patch.

I don't think it would be due to a problem my patch. Perhaps different
scheduling patterns made some race more likely though.

Also, please retry the run, see if it is repeatable.

I will let someone else take over from here ;) I'll run the test
again with the latest bk when I submit another round of STP tests
sometime.