Re: kernel.bkbits.net off the air

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 04:58:18 EST

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Tupshin Harper wrote:
> Davide Libenzi wrote:
> >Larry, if there are really six users (i'm one of them, rsync) among
> >pserver and rsync access, I am the first to tell you shut it down. It is
> >not worth. On the other hand IIRC it was you that, when Pavel showed up
> >with the bitbucket hack to extract metadata from BK, volunteered to do it
> >internally inside BM. Do I remember correctly?
> >
> As one of the six, I would happily 2nd the shutting down of the
> pserver...rsync is fine with me. I would actually prefer no CVS archive
> at all as long as the raw changesets were rsyncable...then the community
> would be responsible for doing something useful with them instead of BM.

Just wondering: the emails sent to the bk-commits mailing lists are just all
changesets in a `neutral' format that contains all meta information, right?

So if all individual mails were archived somewhere with correct sequence
numbers, they could be used to recreate the whole repository in whatever format
you want. I guess it's just a matter of importing them like patches into arch.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

P.S. I did use the CVS gateway before to have a base tree to verify that the
patches I send to Linus and Marcelo still apply cleanly. But these days
full releases are so frequent that I can use these as base trees. And I
monitor the bk-commits lists so I know what's happening in between.

-- Linus Torvalds