Re: kernel.bkbits.net off the air

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 22:03:27 EST

Daniel Egger wrote:

Am Fre, den 14.11.2003 schrieb Nick Piggin um 10:56:

Actually, at http://www.kernel.org/ there is a link to daily snapshots.
There are also changesets generated every couple of hours at the "C" link
at the right of the page.

Even if Linus doesn't release as often (doesn't he? I don't know), this
is surely much better than pre BK. Maybe I didn't understand you right?

Seems so. I assume you missed the "bandwidth constraint" part. Fetching
a whole snapshot every day is not even close to workable. The snapshots
in patch form are nice however patching forth and back is not really an
option. If svn doesn't get back up I'd be tempted to use rsync and use
vendor branches in my own SVN repository but this also seems far from
optimal to me. rsync alone doesn't cut it because there's no version
management and I've lost quite a few patches due to an not thoroughly
considered rsync use.

There are compressed incremental patches of the snapshots available:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/incr/
They average maybe 150KB per day.

Nick