Hard lock on 2.6-test9

From: Dan Creswell
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 04:55:28 EST

Chipset is E7505 with dual Xeons.

Under X, I can provoke a lock just by waggling the mouse. I've had the machine connected up to a serial console with nmi_watchdog=1 and, when the machine dies, nothing is printed on the console (I guess that makes it *very* bad :( ).

Booting with "noapic" helps stability considerably (though I have had one lockup with even that this morning). I've also tried disabling AGP support in-kernel and that makes no difference.

Strangely, 2.4 is considerably more stable (without "noapic") - anybody have any idea what's going on or what to look at next (I'm happy to roll my sleeves up and stare at code - just need some pointers)?

If you'd like more details, let me know and I'll post them.

Many thanks,

Dan.

P.S. There appear to have been other recent discussions on this topic with complaints of IDE (I have an MPT/Fusion SCSI setup) and ethernet load being enough to cause the hard lock.