Re: 2.4.23-pre5 bugs: depmod and Unresolved symbols

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat Nov 15 2003 - 16:19:04 EST

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 02:29:16PM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> > http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.4/2.4.23pre6aa3/00_comx-driver-compile-1
> >
> > 00_comx-driver-compile-1 first appeared in 2.4.19pre8aa2 - 258 bytes
> >
> > Export proc_get_inode for kernel/drivers/net/wan/comx.o so
> > it can link as a module, noticed by Eyal Lebedinsky.
>
> I just applied this and Jeff Garzik pointed out that its wrong to export
> proc_get_inode, and that comx should be fixed instead.
>
> I reverted the change.

Christoph Hellwig once explained us why it was bad and basically what needed
to be done in comx to make it link. But I think that nobody uses this driver
nowadays or that its users blindly apply this patch. I myself once tried to
fix it because of this annoyance (although I don't use it), and found myself
duplicating lots of proc stuff so I concluded this was plain silly and that
the comx driver will simply be disabled in my later kernels.

Cheers,
Willy