Re: Carrier detection for network interfaces

From: Ben Greear
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 05:21:52 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Martin Schlemmer wrote:

Is there any proper way to detect a carrier signal with network
interfaces ? I have recently come across a problem where we tried
to do with with checking for 'RUNNING', which do not work for all
drivers, as well as mii-tool that fails in some cases.

What kernel version?

In 2.6 you have linkwatch. In 2.4 and 2.6, you have ETHTOOL_GLINK, and mii-tool.

One thing to watch for, lots of drivers will not detect link
if the interface itself is not configured to be running (UP).
You can configure it up without an IP address of course...

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>