Re: Debian Kernels was: 2.6.0test9 Reiserfs boot time "buffer layererror at fs/buffer.c:431"

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 10:56:03 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:

Hi!

There was a bug in one of the released Debian kernels, and do you think this
hasn't happened with Redhat, SuSe, or Mandrake? Just because Debian is
completely OSS and maintained mostly by unpaid volunteers, that shouldn't
keep them from having a seperate tree like everyone else.

Just to avoid a false impression: I am in no way against debian project nor do
I say there is anything specifically bad about it. I am generally disliking
distros' ideas of having _own_ kernels. Commercial companies like SuSE or Red
Hat may find arguments for that which are commercially backed, debian on the
other hand can hardly argue commercially. From the community point of view it
is just nonsense. It means more work and less useable feedback.
Bugs is distro kernels are (always) the sole fault of their respective
maintainers because they actively decided _not_ to follow the mainstream and
made bogus patches. Why waste the appreciated work of (unpaid) debian
volunteers in this area? There are tons of other work left with far more
relevance for users than bleeding edge kernel patches...

Debian is distibution; distributions are _expected_ to fix bugs (etc)
in their packages.

not in their packages, but in their packaging, and to submit bug fixes to the maintainers.

If distribution had all packages unmodified, it would be useless...

not at all.

So I'd expect all distros to have at least some changes in their
kernel... the same way I expect distros to have some patches in
midnight commander etc.

Of course it is good to keep the .diff as small as possible.
Pavel

I just want to say that I would happily do 10 times as much work to keep things working for debian, but not using the vanilla kernel is a mistake for debian, just as changing, say, xmms without involving the xmms maintainer would be a mistake and more likely to cause bugs for users. Just because SuSE and RedHat have lots of money doesn't mean that debian should ape their mistakes.

--
Hans