Re: invalid SMP mptable on Toshiba Satellite 2430-301

From: Jochen Voss
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 14:29:25 EST

Hello Kai,

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 06:31:00PM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> voss@xxxxxxxxxx (Jochen Voss) wrote on 13.11.03 in <20031113184506.GA602@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > With SMP and ACPI enabled I get the following kernel
> > boot messages
>
> > but later-on the following messages appear:
> >
> > No local APIC present or hardware disabled
>
> > Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
>
> Hmmm ... are you sure you didn't confuse ACPI with APIC?
Yes, I am sure. I had ACPI enabled (on request by Linus)
and the messages are about the APIC.

As far as I understand this, the situation is as follows:
The original problem was related to the APIC and the
multiprocessor (here: hyper-threading) configuration. The
system tries to use ACPI to acquire information about the
multiprocessor configuration. If ACPI succeeded in doing
so, then my kernel would not try to read the mptable, and
the crash would not occur.

I hope this helps,
Jochen
--