Terrible interactivity with 2.6.0-t9-mm3

From: CaT
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 14:29:25 EST

I just noticed major interactivity problems whilst ogging one of my
cds. X (which is running at a nice of 0) stuttered in its display
uptdates (eg: ogging on two seperate machines but displaying on one,
the progress display of the much faster box would come in spurts until
I ^z the ogg on the box running X). Keyboard input also stutters
and the nfs connection (over which I was encoding from the X running
box) eventually gave up the ghost and I got lots of 'server not
responding, timed out' msgs.

Playing Heroes3 was also impossible until I ran it under nice -n 1.

Doh. :/ This is the first time this has been so bad that I've felt
it was worth writing about. :/

Systems:

X: P3-700 with 256MB RAM, half of it free running Debian sarge (libc
2.3.2 and X 4.2.1.1) and 2.6.0-t9-mm3.
SSH: Athlon XP 2500+ with 512MB of RAM with all but 46MB free running
the same version of Debian but with 2.6.0-t9-mm2.

--
From the people who brought you burnt villages in Vietnam...

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/story.jsp?story=452375