Re: Userspace DMA

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 23:36:13 EST

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Miklas <public@xxxxxxx> writes:

Andrew> Hi, Is there an accepted way of doing userspace DMA with
Andrew> Linux?

I'm currently working on a framework for user-space device drivers,
that allow suitably privileged user-space programs to set up and tear
down dma regions -- essentially exposing pci_alloc_consistent and
pci_{un}map_sg to userspace -- and also to handle interrupts in user
space. The framework is implemented as a pair of filesystems, one for
interrupts (actually, I hijack /proc/interrupts/*) and one for
mappings --- mainly to allow easy cleanup when the userspace program
dies.

It's not yet in a fit state to release, but contact me offline if
you'd like a copy.

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*